Associate Escalation Engineer
Req no: 22770
The position involves resolving customer reported issues through collaboration with members from the Escalation and Engineering teams. Ownership includes maintaining communications with the customer and Engineering as the main point of contact through the case resolution process. The case ownership process also requires for the Escalation Engineer to perform the analysis of log files and network traces while reproducing (or attempting to reproduce) the product behavior. The candidate should act as an effective technical interface between the customer and 3rd Level Engineering / Product Development by providing clear issue documentation (as needed). The individual must also posses the ability to resolve (or workaround) technically complex, mission critical or politically hot issues with general oversight by management, senior members of the team and/or Engineering. Thorough understanding of the customer’s environment and the ability to provide expert advice and advanced troubleshooting problem resolution steps are essential.
The candidate will be expected to become an expert in at least one core Citrix product and will also be expected to write technical articles and case studies for the knowledge base (leveraging the customer reported cases). The candidate will also develop technical training material for internal audiences in at least one core Citrix product. The position requires 3 to 4 years of related experience and/or bachelors degree in a related field. Citrix product certification and certification from Networking/Security vendors are also preferred (but not required).
Qualifications and Skill Set Requirements:
The Escalation Engineer must possess excellent problem solving and communication skills. In addition, the individual must be flexible, dependable and have excellent time management skills.
The Technical skills required for this position are a solid knowledge of the latest UNIX (BSD and Linux) Operating Systems, expert level knowledge in Networking and Security technologies, communication protocols, and familiarity with debugging tools. The candidate should possess a Bachelor of Science or Engineering in Computer Information Systems or Computer Science or have the equivalent experience.
The primary duties for this position include but are not limited to:
* Excellent customer service attitude and the ability to interact with customers in a professional manner.
* The ability to work in a fast-paced environment and use judgment in handling customer issues and provide technical assistance as needed.
* Excellent troubleshooting and debugging skills
* The candidate should be a highly capable communicator (oral and written), who can precisely explain technical phenomena to product managers, internal Citrix management and external customers.
* Provide technical diagnosis, troubleshooting information, workarounds and root cause analysis.
* Escalate cases to Product Development Engineering management when additional resources are required.
* Advise Technical Support management of the need for management intervention as required.
* Keep the customer informed of constant progress along with the current plan of action to resolution as per SLA or on an as needed basis.
* Conduct and participate in customer and multi-vendor conference calls.
* Provide regular status and reports to the customer as well as Citrix management.
* Provide assistance to Development during remote debug dial-in sessions.
* Conduct periodic review of open escalations with Developers to ensure proper issue priority assignment.
* Reproduce customer issues in the Laboratory to verify problems and provide feedback to the Development department as needed.
* Assistance in developing on-going training programs for the department.
* Promote a team environment by assisting and contributing to fellow Citrix employees whenever necessary to enhance the professional development of everyone within the organization.
The candidate should have experience with the following concepts and/or technologies:
o Load Balancers (e.g. NetScaler, Foundry ServerIron, Alteon, F5 BigIp, Cisco CSS).
o Network Operating Systems (e.g. IOS, CatOS, JunOS).
o Network monitoring and management (e.g. nagios, mrtg/rrd, SNMP).
o Sniffers and Protocol Analyzers (e.g.Wireshark, tcpdump, ethereal).
o Knowledge of Security technologies (e.g. SSL/TLS, VPNs, Firewall, IDS/IPS).
o Knowledge of routing protocols (RIP, OSPF, BGP) and switching technologies
o Strong working knowledge of commonly used appliances (load balancers, VPN appliances, WAN accelerators, cache devices, packet shapers, protocol analyzers).
o A solid understanding of WAN and LAN switching and routing, ARP, TCP, IP, HTTP, SMTP, DNS and other related internet protocols.
o A strong working knowledge of secure Web application delivery
o A strong working knowledge of the TCP/IP protocol stack.
o A strong working knowledge of application layer protocols.
o Knowledge of Layer 4-7 load balancing and SSL acceleration technologies.
o A working knowledge of UNIX (FreeBSD/Linux) server administration and scripting – Nice to have
o Internet Software (Apache, BIND) – Nice to have
Skills Learned While In-position
o Increase skill set with Network Operating Systems and network monitoring, sniffers and protocol analyzers.
o Increase knowledge of Security technologies.
o Increase knowledge of Layer 4-7 load balancing and SSL acceleration.
o Ability to perform in-depth analysis of memory/core dumps, user dumps, network traces and Citrix specific tracing and logging.
* Customer Service
o Understanding of CRM system and correct use/effective case documentation skills
o Appropriate time management skills and ability to handle difficult customer conversations
o Knowledge of call escalation processes
o Design and host advanced training classes quarterly for internal teams
Citrix Systems, Inc. is an American multinational software company founded in 1989, that provides server and desktop virtualization, networking, software-as-a-service, and cloud computing technologies, including Xen open source products.Know more about Citrix