Associate Operations Systems Admin
The Junior-level Systems Administrator acts as a member of the Technical Operations team and is responsible for the implementation, maintenance and support of monitoring systems and one or more third-party software packages of low complexity supporting mission-critical services running on a global network serving hundreds of thousands of end users.
This position updates existing task process descriptions and works with supervisor to create new ones where none are currently defined. This includes working on jobs requiring limited technical decision making, and the positionwill normally receive general instructions on routine work and detailed instructions on new assignments.
Their work is reviewed by a more senior team member or supervisor for the quality of work and technical accuracy.
- Maintains product service level agreements and standards of one or more production system subcomponent through proactive and reactive means
- Implements operational initiatives and projects of low complexity intended either to increase the efficiency and scalability of a rapidly growing infrastructure or that provide significant business value
- Supports development environments and developers in their mission as creators of future online products
- Performs technical work requiring application of standard techniques and procedures in carrying out tasks; applies experience and knowledge in specific area of assignment and general background in company methods of operation and procedures in order to accomplish tasks in a professional manner
Qualification & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in computer science or related field preferred
- 2 years of equivalent previous system administration experience; 4 years of directly related work experience required for individuals not holding a Bachelor’s degree
- Experience with enterprise level monitoring systems such as Zenoss and Nagios.
- Ability to learn and work under pressure, solve technical problems quickly and assist in the automation of processes and solutions using available tools
- Ability to verbally express complex technical ideas succinctly; proven ability to document procedures required
- Experience working in a business-critical production support environments preferred; hands-on experience in technical infrastructure operations preferred
- 1 Year minimum experience of deploying and managing Red Hat Linux or equivalent Linux Distribution, including performing server builds, migrations, upgrades and patching
- 1 Year minimum experience with automated host installation and configuration enforcement technologies (i.e. Cobbler, KickStart, Puppet, Foreman etc.).
- Understanding of basic CMDB concepts.
- An understanding of operating systems from an operational perspective is required; ability to discuss and experience with manipulating run levels, load averages, paging and swapping, inter-process communications, devices and what device drivers; understanding of file system concepts (partitions, inodes, clustering, io channels) is required; understanding of the place of CPU, memory, disk and network components in a host system; ability to set up host-based networking without assistance; is familiar with and able to use basic performance-analysis tools
- An understanding of networking/distributed computing environment concepts; principles of routing, client/server programming is preferred
- Experience with open source or commercial monitoring systems is preferred
- Familiarity with Storage Area Network concepts and products preferred
- Ability to produce robust and scalable code in more than one administrative language such as Bash, Perl or Python is preferred; some experience writing in java preferred
- Knowledge and experience in data-modeling, database administration, software engineering and software lifecycle preferred